The Pointe Coupée Historical Society—a 501 c (3) nonprofit organization—is funded through the generosity of its membership, sponsorships and grants from individuals, businesses, foundations, and local and state cultural organizations.
Founded in 1975, the Society has presented history talks and exhibits, roundtable discussions, educational programs for students and teachers, concerts, plays, films, as well as acquisition of collections and placement of significant monument and historical markers throughout Pointe Coupée Parish.
The mission of the Pointe Coupée Historical Society is to:
- foster interest in history, particularly that of Pointe Coupée Parish;
- encourage collection and preservation of historically significant objects and structures to Pointe Coupée Parish;
- encourage the study, preservation, and practice of customs that define the culture and natural history of the parish;
- present educational and cultural programs to the citizens of Pointe Coupée Parish for the enrichment of lives and the furthering of education; and
- maintain the Julien Poydras Museum and Arts Center.
The Society is located in the Julien Poydras Museum and Arts Center. The facility has entry level accessibility, accessible parking and an elevator.
The Arts Council of Pointe Coupée is located in the Annex and hosts quality and engaging cultural programs annually; as well as its renown annual Treasures of Pointe Coupée exhibition which showcases the remarkable artistic talent of members of the community and beyond.
For further information: 225.638.6575 or email@example.com